William Telford (1809-1885) was an Irish organ builder, who established the firm of Telford and Sons.
Singleton consulted him extensively on the College’s organ, eventually commissioning a large 47-stop instrument.
The firm built a number of organs, ranging in size from that for Radley to small church barrel organs.
Major commissions included Trinity College, Dublin (1838), Killala Cathdral, County Mayo (1838), the church of St Malachy, Belfast (1847), and St Eugene’s Cathedral, Londonderry (1872). Most of the major work was done in Ireland, but the firm was well-known in England and abroad, including two organs for churches in New Zealand.
Telford was awarded the gold medal of the Royal Dublin Society in 1847 for his work, and in 1851 he judged musical instruments at the Great Exhibition held at the Crystal Palace.
This article was drawn from the entry in Grove Music Online